A doorbell is a convenient addition to an entryway since it alerts you of someone's presence by the door. Most modern doorbells now feature advanced technology, such as video cameras and intercoms. And so, you might be wondering if these doorbells can be placed anywhere by your door. Are they better on the left or the right, and where should they be facing? We've asked the experts, and here is what they have to say.
Doorbells usually go the opposite side of a door's hinges, on the same side as the handle. So, if your door knob is on the left, then the doorbell should be placed on the left. They are also often placed on the wall next to the door rather than on the surrounding trim. For modern doorbells with higher technology, the height where you will position them is vital as well.
Modern doorbells may require further work and planning before placing them on the wall. It may include considering the wiring, where it faces, how to install it, and the like. Keep reading as we delve into each of these points.
Can A Ring Doorbell Be Installed On The Sidewall?
Yes, you can install a Ring doorbell on a sidewall with the corner mount and wedge kit. These accessories help adjust and optimize the doorbell's view if you cannot mount it onto a flat surface.
The wedge kit angles the doorbell 5 degrees down, letting you place it a few inches higher than the optimal height of 4 feet. It is recommended for surfaces that are angled slightly to the side.
The corner mount allows a Ring doorbell to expand its angle 15 degrees to the left or right away from the wall, depending on which side the doorbell goes. It works best for cases when the doorbell is on a corner or adjacent wall.
Where Is The Best Place To Put A Ring Doorbell?
A Ring doorbell is equipped with smart features, including a mini video camera and motion sensor, meaning you will have to position it in a specific manner.
While certain factors affect how to place the doorbell, Ring recommends the following points:
Generally, you should mount a Ring doorbell at approximately 48 inches or 4 feet from the ground of your porch or entryway. It is necessary to keep this as precise as possible because of the doorbell's motions sensors.
If you place it too high, it could falsely alarm you of movements from afar. Keeping the optimal height allows the sensors to detect motion occurring near the door.
The given height is also enough for the doorbell's camera to get a clear view of the person's face when they approach the door.
The mounting angle plays a role in ensuring the doorbell's camera provides you with a clearer view, along with the motion sensors.
Standard variants should be mounted on a flat surface facing the same direction as the door. Other options may allow you to position the doorbell differently.
There are Ring doorbell variants designed for installation on corners or wedges close to the door. Thus, allowing you to place the doorbell at different angles without affecting the functionality of the sensor.
Get to know more about various doorbells in this post on 3 Types Of Doorbells.
Does Ring Doorbell Have To Face The Street?
A Ring doorbell should be mounted facing the street unless you use the wedge kit or corner mount. It comes with motion sensors, and so, it must point towards the right direction.
The original Ring doorbell has a horizontal fisheye lens of 180 degrees, seeing from the driveaway to the street. Through this, it prevents detection of false movement happening on the road. However, the placement and angle where it faces should be as accurate as possible.
Do You Need An Electrician To Install A Doorbell?
Getting in touch with an electrician for doorbell installation isn't necessary, depending on the type of doorbell to use. With some variants involving a lot of wiring, it may be a risky and complicated process. In this case, it would be best to ask for professional assistance.
Electricians often offer help with installing wired doorbells. These tend to require you to understand how the wiring works to avoid casualties to the rest of the home.
Some wired doorbells will not require too much work. If that's the case, you can easily install these on your own with the proper instructions. Wireless doorbells are also available for quick and easy installation.
How Much Does It Cost To Install A Doorbell?
Regular doorbell installation costs start at around $290, with labor fees and materials included. The price may vary with different types of doorbells or if there is already an existing doorbell.
Installing the Ring doorbell with the assistance of a professional goes for $100 to $250. You can hire a separate electrician to do the job or request the doorbell installation after purchase.
While most smart doorbells come wireless or allow self-installation, calling for the help of a professional will ensure the unit is properly connected and functional.
Does It Matter Which Way You Wire A Doorbell?
Usually, it doesn't matter which way you wire a doorbell because they tend to come in low-voltages as long as you properly connect them to the power supply, the switch, and the terminal.
Keep in mind that not every doorbell requires wiring. Some high-tech options may need this as well, but there are various units designed wirelessly.
How To Install A Doorbell Yourself
When installing a doorbell yourself, you may have to follow separate instructions for different types. Here are the common steps to install doorbells on your own:
- If you had a doorbell installed previously, start by removing the old unit.
- Turn off the doorbell, then use a screwdriver to unscrew the doorbell cover.
- Use a voltage checker first to make sure the power is off before touching the wires.
- Disconnect them after confirming there is no power.
- Attach the wires to the screws on the back of the new doorbell button. Slightly loosen them and hook each wire around them, then tighten the screws back.
- Mount and secure the doorbell button and cover.
- Once you finish up, turn the power back on to test the doorbell.
- If a problem comes up, you might need to replace the chime unit and transformer.
We recommend you get professional assistance for wired doorbell installation without a pre-existing unit to prevent any wire misplacements.
- Locate where to put the doorbell receiver. A tip is to place it where it's easy to hear and at a decent distance away from the button.
- Place batteries in the receiver if necessary, then attach the doorbell to your preferred location. If it doesn't require batteries, plug it into your chosen electrical outlet.
- Install the mounting bracket of the doorbell button at the entryway.
- Put batteries on the button if required.
- Attach the button to the mounting bracket, then test the doorbell.
Whether wired or wireless, smart doorbells follow the same procedures mentioned previously. We have listed below what you should do next to start using the doorbell:
- Use a smartphone compatible with the doorbell.
- Download the application associated with the smart doorbell.
- Sync the doorbell to the Wi-Fi, if needed, and to your smartphone.
- You can also connect the doorbell to other devices, such as the TV, Amazon Echo, Google Home, and the like.
- To have multiple family members receiving doorbell notifications, have each install the application on their smartphone. Then, add each member as a user through the app.
- If the doorbell comes with video features, be sure to place the receiver at a convenient and accessible location for effective security.
Check out more tips on how to keep your doors secure in this post: Can You Put A Keypad Lock On A Sliding Door?
A doorbell can be placed on both the left and right sides of the door, usually on the same side as the door handle. The installation will vary on the doorbell type since wired units follow a more complicated process, while wireless options are best for self-installation.
For smart doorbells like the Ring doorbell, it requires mounting on a flat surface to utilize the motion sensors and video features. However, they come with different kits to cater to mounting on corners or wedges.