GE microwave door handles can incur damages because of frequent use. Perhaps you’re wondering if you can replace the handle on your GE microwave. If so, what are the steps to replace the unit? We've done the research and here’s what we found from consulting with the experts.
The initial stage of replacing a GE microwave handle is to figure out the appliance's specific model number. Find and purchase the correct handle model. Once bought, here's what you need to do:
- Remove the inside edge of the microwave with a putty knife.
- Remove the screws with a Philips head screwdriver
- Take away the door handle and install the new unit.
- Return the screws and the inside edge.
- Test to see if the GE microwave door handle is secure.
These steps are fairly easy to accomplish and won’t take a significant amount of your time. Continue reading as we tackle these steps in greater detail. Plus, you’ll see video guides to help you in replacing the part properly.
Can You Replace Just The Handle On A Microwave?
Many microwaves allow owners to only replace the handle if this specific part needs substituting. Take note that not every replacement microwave door handle will fit all models. Therefore, it’s important to follow certain steps to ensure that you get the correct unit:
- Find the microwave’s brand and model number. These details should be on a sticker on the appliance or in the product’s manual.
- Search for the microwave handle part online. Use specific keywords with the microwave’s model number to help you find a replacement part for the model number. Another option is to ask local appliance stores if they have the correct door handle for your microwave.
- Buy the handle. After receiving the product, continue with the rest of this guide to learn how to proceed with the replacement process.
How Do You Take The Handle Off A GE Microwave?
Assuming that you already have the replacement handle, the initial steps to replace your GE microwave’s handle is to remove it. Here are the steps for this part of the replacement procedure:
- Insert a putty knife under the inside edge of the interior door trim. Pry the trim off the appliance gently.
- Use a Philips head screwdriver to remove the screws that secure the door handle.
- Remove the old or broken door handle.
How Do You Reattach A Microwave Door Handle?
Now that you have removed the aged or worn handle from your GE microwave, the next steps for the replacement process are the following:
- Install the new handle by aligning it on the microwave's door.
- Tighten the new handle using the screws used for the old unit. If the screws look stripped or worn, purchase and use replacement parts instead.
- Align the trim and snap it back into place.
- Confirm that the GE microwave door handle is secure.
You can also watch the video below for a visual guide on how to remove and replace a GE microwave door handle:
How Do I Tighten The Handle On My GE Microwave?
Some GE microwave models will have bases to help secure their handles. But these bases can sometimes become broken, causing the handles to become loose. Replacing these parts will help regain the tightness on the doors’ handles. We have listed below the tools and steps needed for this project:
What You'll Need
- #2 Philips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver or putty knife
- Open the door of the microwave.
- Use the flathead screwdriver or putty knife to pry the trim away from the door gently.
- Set the trim aside to gain access to the screws that secure the handle in place.
- Use the #2 Philips screwdriver to remove the screws and the door handle.
- Remove the broken base and install the new one by lining it up to the door handle.
- Secure the door handle and the new base with the two screws.
- Return the trim to the microwave's door.
- Close the door and check if the handle is secure.
Check out the video below to better figure out the steps mentioned above:
Is A Push Button Or Handle Better On Microwave?
A push-button microwave door-opening unit can be better than a typical handle. It’s because pull handles can become worn over time and with frequent use. On the other hand, many microwave push-buttons don't usually have these problems.
How To Fix Microwave Door Button?
One of the reasons for malfunctioning push-button microwave doors is when the switch fails to meet the door-opening unit. The steps to repair this problem are as follows:
- Remove the side panel to check if the door-opening unit meets the button upon being pressed. If so, you can confirm that the button doesn’t complete a full motion.
- Take off the control panel, which, in turn, should also remove the button. Check the owner's manual if you're unsure how to remove this part.
- Take out the button, which should show that one of its clips is broken. In turn, the button malfunctions when pressed.
- Remove the broken clip and return the button and control panel to their original locations.
- Check to see if the button now meets the door-opening unit properly.
Take note that removing the clip can make the button protrude. Also, if removing the clip doesn't solve the issue, replacing the button may help solve the problem. Make sure to find the correct model for the replacement piece to ensure that the microwave will function normally.
You can also watch this video below to see the process of repairing a push-button mechanism for a microwave:
Check out this microwave button unit on Amazon.
How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Microwave Door Handle?
The average costs to replace microwave door handles range from $75 to $125. The price can differ depending on the brand, materials used, and the microwave’s specific model.
It’s possible to find microwave door handles that have comparatively lower prices than the average costs. But these low-priced models may not possess a similar level of quality as their more expensive counterparts.
Check out this microwave door handle on Amazon.
Is It Cheaper To Repair Or Replace A Microwave?
In some cases, it’s best to replace a microwave than try to fix it. Some of the scenarios that warrant microwave replacements include:
- Broken parts (e.g., high voltage diodes and drive motors)
- Control board malfunction or failure
- Damaged magnetron
On the other hand, a broken door latch, cracked glass, or a faulty turntable doesn’t usually require that you replace the appliance. Also, these repair jobs are fairly easy to do, making them accomplishable by many DIY beginners.
You should buy the correct model to replace your GE microwave door handle. Otherwise, it’s going to be tough or probably even impossible to install the new part.
Once you have the replacement handle, remove the old unit from the microwave. Make sure to pry open the interior edge and remove the screws carefully. Then, install the new handle and test it out to check for tightness and security.
You can also read these posts to help you with other door concerns:
How To Turn LG Refrigerator Door Alarm On And Off