Does the screen on your storm door need cleaning but you don't know how to remove it from the door? You've come to the right page because, in this article, we'll share tips straight from the experts on how you can do this task efficiently.
Removing the screen from your storm door can be done in three easy steps:
- Slide the glass window as high as it can go into its tracks.
- Lift it a little closer towards you and gently pull it down the tracks.
- Do the same to the screen window.
Keep reading so we can share more useful tips on how to remove the screen on your storm door. We've also got pointers on how you can clean your screen, how to change the screen on your storm door, and how to take your storm door apart. Let's begin!
Removing the Screen on Your Storm Door
The screen on your storm door is a very convenient feature. It allows the cool breeze to enter your home and you can see the view outside. At the same time, it'll effectively keep dirt and bugs from getting inside your home.
There are instances when you have to remove the screen on your storm door. You might want to clean it after it has accumulated too much dust and dirt. This is recommended before and after each "screen" season.
Or you might need to replace it altogether because it was broken or already worn out through the years. Either way, you need to take it down from your storm door and do whatever it is that you need to do for its maintenance and repair.
The screens on storm doors can come in different styles.
- Standard screen: The screen is fixed in its place while the glass panels can slide up and down.
- Retractable screen: The screen can be retracted at the top of the door when it's not in use.
- Full-view screen: The storm door comes with separate glass and screen panels. Homeowners can switch them out as needed.
The screen on your storm door may come in any of these styles but the general principle is the same. You have to remove the glass panel to have access to the screen panel.
- Remove the glass window. Slide it all the way up its track then lift it up a little towards you.
- Gently pull the glass window down until it's out of the sliding track. Be careful when handling glass.
- You now have access to the screen window. Do the same to remove it from the track.
That's it! You've removed the screen window from your storm door. Easy peasy, right? You don't even need to use your tools to get the job done.
When you're finished cleaning or ready to have it replaced, you just put the screen and glass windows back up the sliding tracks.
How do you change a screen on a storm door?
When it's only the screen that's broken, you can have it replaced rather than buying a new storm door altogether. This is more cost-effective and easy enough to do.
As mentioned earlier, the screens on your storm door come in different styles. But whatever style it has, the screen replacement process is mostly the same.
Here's a guide on how to change the screen on a storm door.
Tools and Materials Needed:
- Phillips head screwdriver
- 2 sawhorses (if necessary)
- new screen spline
- spline installation tool
- spline roller
- screen fabric
- razor blade or scissors
- Remove the screen insert from the door. If you're using a storm door with a standard screen, you have to remove the door from its hinges and put your storm door on two sawhorses.
- Take off the old screen fabric and screen spline.
- Cut the new screen fabric according to the size of the screen panel. You can add two inches on each side to give allowance for its working size.
- Use the spine installation tool to install the screen fabric.
- Gently pull the screen as you install it around the spine.
- Complete the screen fabric installation.
- Cut the excess spline and screen fabric to make it look nice.
- Inspect your work. There should be no sags or wrinkles.
- Reinstall the door (if you removed it) and put back the screen on its proper place.
And that's how you replace the screen on your storm door. It will now function properly and add to the beauty of your storm door.
How do you clean a storm door screen?
The screen on your storm door can get dirty especially when you're facing a busy street. Dirt, dust, and other particles will tend to accumulate on the screen over time making it an eyesore.
Here's what you can do to clean the screen on your storm door and restore its beauty.
- old towels
- liquid all purpose cleaner
- sponge or microfiber cloth
- Remove the screen from your storm door.
- Put the screen over an old towel.
- Run your vacuum over its surface. Do it on both sides of the screen to be able to remove all the loose particles.
- Mix your all purpose cleaner with water in a bucket. Follow the instructions on the label for the right water to cleaner ratio.
- Lift the screen so you can wash both sides with soapy water. Use a microfiber cloth or sponge for this.
- Gently rinse the screens to remove all dirt and soap residue. Put the hose settings on low pressure to avoid damaging the screen.
- Use an old towel to dry the screen and give it sufficient time to air dry.
- Reinstall the screen on the storm door.
It is recommended that you do this at the start and end of each season. You can also use an extendable vacuum in between your cleaning schedules to avoid too much accumulation of unwanted particles.
How do you take apart a storm door?
You would want to take apart your storm door to be able to clean the glass panels on both sides. Or perhaps you have to replace the panels when they're already worn out. But of course, there's a proper way of doing this so that you don't destroy your storm door. Here's how:
- Keep your storm door open by putting the washer against the tube on your door closer.
- Slide the glass panel as high as it can go into the upper track and the lower part of the track is exposed.
- Gently pull the glass panel out of the sliding tracks by lifting it and then pulling it down. Hold the glass firmly so it won't slip out of your hands.
- Remove the screen panel out of its tracks.
- You can now clean or replace the panels as necessary.
- When you're done, you just put them back in place by sliding them all the way up into the tracks.
That's it! Taking your storm door apart shouldn't be a complicated task. You don't even need any tools for it. Just be gentle so that you don't shatter the glass or damage the tracks.
Removing the screen window from your storm door is so easy. It will allow you to clean or replace it whenever you need to. This will ensure that your screen can effectively do its job of letting in the cool breeze without any of the dirt and it'll ensure that your storm door looks presentable all the time.
For more door resources, you may visit the following posts: