Aluminum is a popular material for storm doors because of its durability. But since it is exposed to harsh environmental factors, it can easily get dirty and look worn out. Don't worry because we've asked our door experts how you can clean your storm door to make it look brand new again.
To clean your white aluminum storm door, you need to:
- Prepare a mild cleaning solution.
- Wash the surface of your aluminum door with it.
- Rinse it off.
- Let it dry.
- Apply aluminum polish.
Keep reading so that we can share more tips on how to bring back the shine of your white aluminum door. We'll also tell you how you can clean the glass and screen panels. We'll also answer if aluminum doors will rust and what kind of paint you can use to upgrade their look.
Cleaning your white aluminum storm door
A storm door protects your front door from the elements. But in doing so, it receives all the impact of the changing weather conditions and it will definitely take its toll on its appearance.
Dust and dirt can stick to its surface, making it look grubby and soiled. This is more evident when you have a white aluminum storm door. That's no way to make a good impression on guests and passersby who see your door.
That's why it's important to clean your storm door to make it look presentable all the time. Good thing it's so easy to do. Here's how.
Things to prepare
- 2 buckets of warm water
- mild detergent or water and vinegar solution
- 3 microfiber cloths
- aluminum polish
- soft bristled-brush
- Add some mild detergent on one bucket of warm water. Follow the instructions on the packaging of the detergent for the correct soap to water ratio. Alternatively, you can mix equal parts of white vinegar and water as your cleaning solution.
- Soak the microfiber cloth on the soapy water or cleaning solution.
- Wash the surface of the aluminum door starting from the top all the way down. Make sure you remove all the dirt on the surface.
- You can use a soft-bristled brush for spots that are harder to clean.
- Use the other bucket of warm water and clean microfiber cloth to rinse off the soap or cleaning solution.
- Wipe off with a clean cloth to dry.
- Once the surface is dry, you can use an aluminum polish to make it all shiny and bright.
- Do this on the interior side and aluminum door frame as well.
How do you clean a storm door screen?
Cleaning the screen part of your storm door is a little tricky. Some screens can be taken off while some cannot.
If your storm door comes with a screen, check if yours is removable. If it is, you have to remove it from the track to make it easier to clean. If the screen on your storm door cannot be removed, there are special cleaning kits that you can buy to help you wash your screen.
Here's how you can clean the screen window on your storm door.
- Take it off from the storm door (if applicable).
- You can use a vacuum with a soft-bristle attachment to remove all the dirt.
- Use the same cleaning solution or soapy water mentioned earlier to clean the screen.
- Rinse it off thoroughly.
- Allow it to dry.
- Put it back in place.
It is recommended that you clean your screen regularly to avoid the buildup of dirt and grime which can make it look unappealing. If your door is facing a busy street, you'll have to do this more frequently.
How do you clean a storm door glass panel
Same with the screen panels that we discussed above, check if the glass panel on your storm door can be removed. Some just slide up and down. If it can be removed, slide it off the track. This will make the process more convenient for you.
Here's how you can clean the glass panel on your storm door:
- Use a mild soap solution for cleaning the glass panel. Make sure it doesn't have any abrasive properties to prevent damaging the surface of the glass. Other recommended glass cleaners are mineral spirits, acetone, and citrus-based compounds.
- Wash the glass with soapy water using a microfiber cloth or paper towel. Do not use metal razor blades for cleaning.
- Rinse with clean water and make sure you remove all residue.
- Wipe it dry.
- Put it back on the track.
Some reminders: Do not clean the glass panel under direct sunlight as it can damage the glass. Always check the manufacturer's instructions regarding the proper care of the glass window on your storm door. And take care not to get the finishes and other door hardware wet while you're cleaning.
Do aluminum storm doors rust?
Rusting happens when iron or its alloys react with oxygen and water. It is similar to a combustion reaction and the result is corrosion of the surface that will eventually lead to rusting and the disintegration of the material itself.
Storm doors that are made of pure aluminum will not rust. They don't contain any iron which is the element that reacts negatively to the presence of moisture and oxygen. Without iron, it will not rust.
On the contrary, when aluminum is exposed to water and oxygen, aluminum oxide is formed and this is what makes them great materials for your storm doors.
Aluminum oxide is the powdery white substance that you'll notice on the surface of aluminum doors. They will harden over time and it will protect the underlying layer of material from further corrosion.
This is why aluminum doors have superb resistance to the threat of corrosion and damage. It is also the main reason why aluminum is the best material that you can choose for your storm door.
However, it is important to ensure that your storm door is made of pure or natural aluminum. Once other elements or alloys are added, they will compromise the door's ability to resist corrosion and rusting.
Can you paint an aluminum storm door?
The nice thing about aluminum doors is that you can have them painted to match the color of your front door. This is important as a door is the first thing that other people will notice about your house. It is important to make a nice impression and enhance your home's curb appeal.
Experts say that you can use almost any kind of paint on your aluminum door. But since we all know that not all paints are made equal, here are great options to choose from.
Latex paint is preferred by many because it is fast drying. It is easy to apply and provides long-lasting protection on the metal surface of the door. Latex paint comes in different finishes so you can match it with your entry door.
Exterior-grade Spray Paint
When it comes to easy application, nothing can beat spray paints. You just need to push the button and spray it all over the surface that you want to paint. There's no need for a paintbrush. They also dry fast and come with a smooth finish when you're done.
Enamel paints provide good coverage on the surface of your aluminum door. It is also very durable so it won't easily crack or chip despite harsh weather conditions.
Just some reminders when painting your aluminum storm door:
- Remove the storm door from the hinges. Take off the glass and screen if possible.
- Choose a lighter color so that it will reflect heat. This will help keep your home cooler and more energy efficient.
- Work in your garage or outdoors so that you and other members of your family won't inhale the fumes of the paint.
- Read the instructions before proceeding with your paint job. Some would require prepping like sanding and primer so that the paint would adhere to the surface effectively.
- Allow the paint to dry completely. This will ensure a smoother finish and prevent cracking.
Cleaning your white aluminum door is easy. Do this regularly to maintain the nice look of your storm door and impress your guests with its appearance.
If you want to read more about storm doors, you may go to the following links: