A spice rack mounted on a pantry door can add storage space for more spices and kitchenware. But how can you build a spice rack on a pantry door? We've asked the experts for help, and here's what they recommend.
Building a spice rack on a pantry door requires different-sized wooden boards. The number of boards needed for the project will vary, but you can use two 1x4x10-inch whitewood boards and a ¼-inch plywood board for the supporting board. Then, follow these steps:
- Cut the plywood to an appropriate size.
- Drill holes for the dowels.
- Add pocket holes using a jig.
- Connect and secure the wooden pieces using wood glue.
- Attach the shelves.
- Mount the plywood board and attach the spice rack.
It might seem like a reasonably easy project, but mistakes can be made if you miss out on the details. Continue reading as we tackle the specifics of building a spice rack on a pantry door.
How To Build A Door Mounted Spice Rack
Building a door-mounted spice rack starts with gathering the necessary materials and tools for the job.
Here are the things needed and the steps to follow:
What You’ll Need
- 2 1x4x10-inch whitewood boards
- 3 4-foot 3/8-inch dowel rods
- 3/8-inch dowel buttons
- 1 ¼-inch plywood
- Wood glue
- Hammer and nails
- Cup hooks (optional)
- Cut the plywood sheet to a 21x39-inch piece.
- Clamp the plywood sheet to stabilize it and drill holes into it for the dowels. Make sure to use a drill bit that’s one size larger than the dowels.
- Add pocket holes to the whitewood boards, which will later become the pieces that will make the spice rack.
- Use wood glue to connect the wooden boards and form a rectangle.
- Mark the areas with a marker or pencil where you’d like to place the shelves.
- Use the jig once more on the sides of the marked areas.
- Apply wood glue to the holes and stick in the dowels.
- Cover the holes on the sides with the dowel buttons.
- Install the cup hooks to the side of the spice rack.
- Attach the plywood board to the back of the pantry door. You can use wood glue for this step or secure the board with nails.
- Attach the spice rack to the plywood board.
Take a look at the video below for an alternative way of making a spice rack for your pantry door:
At this point, you can use the spice rack to hold things like salt, whole peppercorns, cinnamon, and other spices. But you can also add flair to the spice rack by color-matching it with the pantry door.
If your pantry door doesn’t have the color you want, read this post on that subject: What Color Should A Pantry Door Be?
Click here to see this pocket hole jig system kit on Amazon.
How Do You Hang A Spice Rack On A Hollow Door?
Hanging a spice rack on a hollow door has relatively the same procedure as mounting one onto a hollow wall. Assuming that you already have a spice rack ready, the steps to hang it on the hollow door are as follows:
- Drill pilot holes into the hollow core door.
- Fold the door anchor halfway.
- Insert the door anchor into the pilot hole and make it reach the collar.
- Insert the key into the anchor. Doing so should open the toggle brackets inside the door.
- Insert an appropriately sized screw into the anchor to secure it.
- Tighten the screw, but avoid overtightening to avoid stripping it.
- Hang the spice rack.
How Much Weight Can You Hang On A Hollow Core Door?
A standard hollow interior door can hold about 45 to 100 pounds. Exterior hollow core doors are generally more robust than their interior counterparts. Therefore, exterior hollow doors, particularly when equipped with heavy-duty hardware, can hold approximately 200 to 400 pounds.
Take note that certain factors affect the total weight a hollow core door can hold. These elements include the hinges, the door’s weight, and the hardware used to attach the hinges.
What Can I Use To Make A Spice Rack?
Different types of wood are available to make a decent or high-quality spice rack. Some timber options include:
Pine is a lightweight and versatile type of wood with excellent workability properties. It’s not significantly tough, making it ideal for creating decorative moldings on spice racks.
Woodworkers and DIY enthusiasts may not even have to use power tools to make a spice rack from pine. However, the lack of durability can make it easy to dent and scratch the wood.
Cedarwood thrives in wet weather, making it an excellent choice for spice racks near water sources. Its ruggedness makes it possible to resist moisture and prevent decaying, shrinking, swelling, and warping. But take note that this top-notch durability generally comes with an expensive price tag.
Redwood can be a great choice for making spice racks because of its low-maintenance characteristics. It’s resistant to wear and tear, plus it has a beautiful red shade that works well with kitchens and pantries with compatible color schemes.
But it might be tough to obtain this timber for woodworking projects since the tree is already endangered.
Cherry or cherry wood can be easy to work with, which can make it a good choice for beginners. This type of wood also finishes beautifully. However, proper care and maintenance are a must to retain its natural aesthetics.
Maple wood will look different, depending on the species. Each type of maple wood has different properties.
Still, maple wood generally has hard-wearing properties. Moreover, maple is fairly easy to process, which means creating a spice rack out of this timber is usually fairly simple.
Oak is a type of hardwood with high durability and excellent weather resistance. Its toughness makes it a great choice for creating spice racks and other pieces of furniture. However, buyers should know about the different types of oak wood available.
High-grade oak is tough because of the high concentration of tannins, protecting the timber from harmful bacteria and enzymes. Medium-grade oak is still quite rugged but may break faster than the high-grade variant.
If you need more information about the durability of oak, read through this post: Do Oak Doors Warp? [And Tips On How To Prevent Warping]
Building a spice rack to mount on a pantry door requires the right equipment and materials for the job. Some of the things needed are a jig, wood glue, and certain pieces of wood.
It's important to ensure the shelves are placed correctly to prevent the rack from becoming lopsided.
Those interested in making a spice rack should also know that they can use different types of wood for this project. Some options include pine, cedar, and redwood. If done correctly, the finished product should be a sight to behold.