Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Are you planning to buy a storm door? It would be good to know if it already comes with handles and hinges so that you'll know if you have to add them to your shopping list. That's what we asked door experts and here's what we got.
Most storm door units come with their own installation kit. It contains the door hinges, handle, and other hardware that you need to install your storm door properly and have it working right away.
Continue reading so we can tell you more about the storm door installation package. We'll also answer if you can replace the hinges and handle of your storm door and how to get them done. We'll also discuss what a Z bar is and if your storm door comes with a lock. Let's begin!
What does your storm door kit come with?
A storm door offers many benefits. It is a second door that protects your main entryway from the impact of harsh weather conditions. It allows natural light to enter and provides additional ventilation for your home. It's no wonder that many homeowners are convinced to install one in their houses.
When you buy a storm door, chances are it already comes with its own installation kit. This means it has the door hardware that you need to be able to set it up and get it to work properly.
The installation kit usually includes the hinges and handles together with the frame, screws, latches, and closing mechanism. This will make it easier for homeowners or their contractors to get the door installation job done right away.
Can you replace the hinge on a storm door?
The hinges on your storm door can fail over time. The good news is that you can easily replace them so that you can have your door back in good working condition in no time.
You would need to buy new door hinges from your local hardware store. Since these door hardware come in different sizes, it would be best if you get the measurement of the door hinges that you need to replace. Or you can bring the old hinges with you so you can show them to their sales associate.
Hinges are also made of different materials and come in different finishes. Make sure you buy one that matches the other hinges on your storm door.
Replacing the hinge is easy since there are holes for the screws already right where the old hinge used to sit. You don't even need to remove the storm door from its frame.
Here's how you can replace the hinges on your storm door.
- Prepare your Phillips screwdriver or cordless screwdriver.
- If you haven't removed the old hinge, do it now. Unscrew it on both leaves.
- Position the new hinge in its place. Make sure the screw holes are aligned with the old holes.
- Screw the door hinge securely in place.
- Test if the storm door works properly.
That's it! It shouldn't take long to replace your old or broken door hinge. Your storm door should be back in great shape in a jiffy.
Can you replace storm door handle?
If you have a broken door handle or simply want to upgrade the look of your storm door, replacing the door handle is easier than you think.
You just need to decide which type of door handle you want to buy. There are three kinds to choose from:
- Push-button handle: This one's a classic. You would need to push the button to release the latch and open the door.
- Pull handle: This makes things a lot simpler. You just pull on the handle to be able to open the door.
- Lever: It can be straight or curved depending on the style that you choose.
Once you've decided which type you prefer, choose the finish and style that complements your storm door and you can go ahead with your purchase.
As we said earlier, it is a fairly simple task especially if you buy the same kind of door handle as before. It would fit in the old holes that you already have. Here's how to do it.
Tools and materials
- power drill and drill bits (if you need to drill new holes)
- pencil for marking
Procedure to Replace a Handle
- Remove the old door handle and strike plate.
- See if the new handle will fit the old holes. If not, use the template to mark the new holes.
- Pre-drill the new holes, if needed, then proceed to drill the holes for the screws.
- Position the new door handle and assemble it using the screws that it came with.
- Install the new strike plate on the frame of your storm door.
- Test if your new door handle works properly.
You're done! Your storm door will not only look better but also work more efficiently with the help of your new and improved door handle.
What is the Z Bar on a storm door?
The Z bar on your storm door is the hinge side of its frame. This is where your storm door panel attaches to the door jamb.
This is also the part of your storm door where you'll find its serial number. This information is important when you want to have your door replaced. The serial number is unique and it will help identify the model and series of your door.
Should you want to replace your storm door, you can just contact the manufacturer and give them your serial number and they'll know what type of door you have and the Z bar that you need.
It can be a leaf hinge rail or a piano hinge rail. A leaf hinge rail has multiple hinges attached to the door. The number of hinges would depend on its height and model. A piano hinge rail has one continuous hinge that runs from the top to the bottom of the door.
You can also order just the Z bar for your storm door from the manufacturer or see if there's something similar at your local hardware store.
Do storm doors have locks?
Some storm doors come in a complete package. It already has all the door hardware that you need to install it properly and some are also equipped with different locking systems to enhance its security.
But if ever your storm door doesn't come with a lock, it is quite easy to install one. You can consider changing the door handle into a keyed one or adding a deadbolt if you wish.
You can refer to the procedure given above to replace your old door handle with a new one that has a locking mechanism.
If you want to add a deadbolt to increase its security, here's what you need to do.
Tools and Materials Needed
- power drill
- 2 1/8-inch hole saw
- drill bits
- Phillips screwdriver
- pencil for marking
Procedure to Install a Deadbolt
- Use the template to mark the holes that you need to make on both sides of the door.
- Use the hole saw to drill a hole for the deadbolt lock. Drill halfway through the exterior side and then drill on the interior side.
- Drill a hole for the deadbolt at the edge of the door and at the door jamb where the lock would sit.
- Attach the deadbolt lock. Make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Install the strike plate on the door jamb. Make sure it is properly aligned with the deadbolt.
- Test to see if the deadbolt lock will work properly.
And that's how you add a deadbolt lock on your storm door to improve your security.
Installing storm doors is a lot easier since they usually come with an installation kit. It already contains everything you need to set up your new storm door so that you can enjoy its benefits right away.
If you want to know more about storm doors, you may read the following posts: